Web Accessibility icon

Font Resize

E-2 Investor Visa

Click here to download the E-2 Visa Timeline PDF

What is the E-2 Investor Visa?

  • Allows foreign entrepreneurs to live and work in the U.S. through investment in a U.S. business.
  • Spouse and unmarried children under age 21 may accompany investor to the U.S.
  • Treaty Nationals only. Currently available to citizens of 82 countries.
  • Usually granted in 2 to 5 year increments depending on treaty between the foreign country and the U.S.
  • Renewable indefinitely as long as business continues.

How to qualify for the E-2 Visa?

Must be a Treaty National
  • Must be Citizen of a Treaty Country. Major countries include: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Spain, Taiwan, United Kingdom (Britain), and many more.
  • For full list of all 82 countries, visit the following website: www.E2VisaLawyer.net
What's the Minimum Investment?
  • Make a Substantial Investment in a qualifying business in the United States
  • Law does not specify minimum investment amount
  • In practice, should invest at least $100,000 and ideally $150,000+ to have a strong E-2 case
  • Smaller investments possible, depending on nature of business
Qualifying Business
  • May invest in new or existing business
  • Minimum 50% Controlling Ownership
  • Any type of business can potentially qualify, except home-based businesses
  • New business given reasonable time to reach profitability and job creation
Ideal Business should:
  • Generate sufficient income to provide investor and family with comfortable living in the U.S.
  • Create jobs for U.S. workers, usually at least a few employees, not including owner
  • Have physical business premise, such as a store, shop, office, etc.
  • Be asset-based to demonstrate substantial usage of investment funds such as inventory, equipment, supplies, business premise build-out and/or renovation, etc

Ready to explore your E-2 Visa options?

Click here for complimentary consultation